This week's Green Cleaning post is a recipe for Homemade Fabric Softener.
I don't know if you can really call this one a 'recipe' with only two ingredients but we'll go with it! Vinegar + Essential Oil = Fabric Softener!
A while back, I came across multiple posts that suggesting using white vinegar in the rinse cycle as a fabric softener. I wasn't too sure since I don't love the smell of vinegar but once I made the switch from dryer sheets to wool dryer balls I decided to jump on the vinegar rinse bandwagon.
I find that it works well for us. I have a dispenser in my traditional top-loading washer that I fill up (approximately 1/4-1/2 cup) and it is dispensed in the rinse cycle. There is no trace of vinegar smell once the clothes are dry either.
Side note: if you don't have Wild Orange essential oil on hand, feel free to try out another variety.
I can confidently say that I don't miss the overwhelming smell of dryer sheets. Am I the only one who chokes when walking down the laundry aisle of a store?
Homemade Fabric Softener
4 cups White Vinegar
20 drops dōTERRA Wild Orange Essential Oil
1. Add the vinegar and essential oil to a quart size Mason Jar
2. Close with lid (I like to use these storage lids with them) and turn to mix
3. Add 1/4-1/2 cup to rinse cycle (If you don't have a dispenser container built in you can try using a dispenser ball)
- 4 cups White Vinegar
- 20 drops dōTERRA Wild Orange Essential Oil
- Add the vinegar and essential oil to a quart size Mason Jar
- Close with lid and turn to mix
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup to rinse cycle
- My washer has a built-in automatic softener dispenser but if yours doesn't you can try using a fabric dispenser ball instead.
Disclaimer – The product links on this web page are affiliate links. Your support helps keep this website running. Thank you!